Skip to main content

The Pug That Always Finished Second (chapter 10)

Last time on the Pug That Always Finished Second, we heard a very cocky Rascal claim that "victory was all but assured". Will this statement prove true? Will Trinket trip over a corncob? All that and more on the Pug That Always Finished Second.

Trinket's Journal

March 26, 2006

It was the day. March 26, 2006. That morning, the Dogpalooza website released the official bracket for the competition. I didn't know the dog I would be facing in the first round, a Scottie named Molly. The only dog I had researched about and cared about was Rascal. Everything else was mere details in the final report. And how was I feeling? Thanks for asking. I felt great. I had a good night's sleep under my belt and I was ready to go. That morning, I lay in my bed thinking (a dangerous habit, I might add). I felt like I should get some good old Rocky music following me. All I got was a pug snoaring.

Dad walked in and let me out of my crate. "Trinket, I don't know how Bucky is going to take this. Remember, he doesn't know you will be competing. And he won't know. He isn't coming." I was shocked. Even moral support from a crazed pug is still moral support. Then I decided it didn't matter. I had trained to hard to let the pug come in the way. "Trinket, it's just about time to go. Grab your training toys, as there may be time to practice, and let's hit the road, jack." Finally. The time approached.

Later that day

Dogpalooza was packed. Dogs of all shapes and sizes were scattered all over, from Scotties to Jack Russells to Frenchies. I felt mightly out of place, like a parakeet in a pack of ravens. I stuck close to Dad as he navigated the floor. The judges were on three highly raised podiums. They had the sign-in papers and had the scoring card, to, well, ya know, score. Dad walked over and started signing me in. Once he had finished, the judges looked me over. "You have fun," one said, cracking an evil grin. I walked away, sulking.

The competitions before mine passed in a blur. Oh, there was singing, and agility, and even a race, but I didn't care for them. I spent the time walking around, trying to remember my gameplan and convince myself I wasn't nervous. Finally, the PA announcer stepped to the microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen, dogs and humans, I give you the tug-of-war contest!" FINALLY! It was my time to shine!

I got in the cue to begin. I would have the third match. In a short time, I was hustled into the ring. My opponent, the Scottie Molly, was ready to begin. I won the match easily. Despite having great strength and power, she lacked a true sense of tug-of-war. I won it with a simple trick. I let her lead me towards a corner, then, as she charged, I spun out, forcing her to adjust her grip. I then spun again, then again, and with a simple tug, won my first match.


 The second match was against a dachshund named Cali. She was quick, but had no good gripping skills. I found this weakness and kept her from running and cornered her. I kept up some heavy tugging, wearing down her defense, and eventually put a second win under my belt. It was time for the semi-finals.
  In the semi-finals, I faced my toughest opponent yet, a terrier mix named Betty. She was quick, and possessed incredible talent. But there was no brains behind the talent. She had no strategy, just relied on her high level of talent. And so I beat her with loops, spins, twirls, jumps, and slides. She kept up with me, but lost ground and grip. I beat her with a fake tug-spin-slide-jump-fake tug-spin-yank combination and breathed a sigh of relief. It was time for Rascal.

I faced him down. He gave me a calm look. And then it began. We dodged around, feeling each other out. He had the grip, and the tenacity. He was ferocious. His form was superb. I might not be able to beat him, but I wasn't ready to give up. I tried everything. Jumping did nothing, as did spinning and twirling and sliding. He was smart and he was ready. Finally, we met up in the middle of the ring.
  Tug after tug after tug. Neither of us gave up any ground. Then his pure power gave him an advantage. Then a larger advantage. I tried my best, I really did. But he was too much. I gave a final charge. He handled it easily. And then he picked me apart. Tug after tug after tug. A final spin-tug and the match was over.

As I lay on the ground, recovering, I knew I had done my best. I had given up everything to win. And I hadn't. As I lay there, I imagined that I had won. But that was pure imagination. I had done nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is