Skip to main content

NXT Takeover: Philadelphia Recap

After a well regarded Takeover in Houston in November, there was surprisingly little hype coming into this show. On paper, the card was very solid, but there just wasn't quite the level of fan interest. But when has that ever held NXT back before?






- I feel like I say this every review, but it is really impressive just how far the Authors of Pain have come in the time they've been on the roster. At this point, it seems like they might be being held back by continuing to wrestle on NXT, so you have to wonder when they will get the call up. This was a fine opening match, but like most matches on the card, had very little heat, with the crowd not fully into AoP as faces. I did like the finish, with Akam's leg so crucial in the loss, but it's a shame the announcers didn't really bother to try and sell it. Oh well.


- Forget Bray Wyatt, The Velveteen Dream truly has the whole world in his hands. The heel/face dynamic was all out of whack, with the crowd having no reason to care about Kassius Ohno, throwing their full support to Velveteen. Some of the strikes in this match looked quite good, but I can't say I was a huge fan. It got quite ugly toward the end, with a few noticeable botches as well, probably one to forget for both guys. I don't know what's it's going to take to get people to start caring about Ohno, but what he's doing right now absolutely isn't working.


- It's long been said that a great entrance and a great finisher is all you need in wrestling, but Ember Moon is proof that that mantra isn't always accurate. Her promo work leaves so much to be desired, that it really does take away a lot of heat from her matches. Her match with Shayna Baszler was fine, nothing special, and the finish felt very John Cena-esque, surviving an armbar that lasted full minutes to get the win. The women's division on NXT just doesn't feel as revolutionary and game-changing as it used to be, which is a shame, although predictable given the amount of talent they've lost over the years.


- I didn't have super high expectations for Cole vs Black, and I really thought the Extreme Rules stipulation would hold both guys back, in addition to being unnecessary. Sometimes, you have to admit you're wrong, and I'm happy to say that I most definitely was. This was a brutal match, showcasing some of the best each man had to offer. Adam Cole proved that he really is a tough son of a b****, fighting on through some nasty cuts. Some of these spots were very inventive as well, particular that chair bump that Cole took, and Black's double knees through the table. Really good, riveting stuff, made more impactful by NXT's relative lack of these style of matches. Both guys came across like stars, and their stock will be elevated by taking part in this match.


- Do I really need to tell you how good this main event was? Fans have already been hailing it as a potential Match of the Year, and for good reason. It's the type of match that if you haven't watched it yet, you really should. Both Gargano and Almas looked great, with their offense looking both crisp and impactful, and the pace of the match was perfectly done. They hit all the right notes, from the multiple near falls, to the Candice/Zelina Vega brawl and the overall psychology. From start to finish, it was as close to a perfect match as you might ever see, and the crowd ate up every second. I don't really have anything more to add, to be honest. To go through this match blow for blow would take far more time than I have, considering just how much happened. I loved it, plain and simple, and it was the easy winner for match of the night.


- The real question is not the quality of the main event, but whether the right man went over. Gargano's story could've reached the crescendo here, and perhaps it was the right time to pull the trigger. Personally, I didn't feel that either man winning was a bad call, since they are both great. The decision to have Tommasso Ciampa attack Gargano to end the show was.......................odd. Ciampa's not that close to being cleared, and the moment didn't really feel impactful in any way. Perhaps it would've been better if Johnny had just won the belt, I don't know.


8/10


This was really a tale of two shows. The first three matches were decent at best, with the tag match as a clear highlight. The final two were some of the best NXT has ever put on, which makes grading this show fairly difficult. I thought WarGames was a better overall experience, but it's incredibly hard to not give a show with Cole/Black and Gargano/Almas any higher grade. I do grade NXT different than main roster shows, so in the end, I think a 7.5 is fair. Did you enjoy Takeover: Philadelphia? What would be your final grade? Feel free to leave a comment either here or on my Twitter page(@htk0215), and I'll catch you soon for the Royal Rumble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is