Skip to main content

American Dad "Lost Boys" Review

Apologies for being a bit late today, we're in the midst of storm season here in Oklahoma and while I wasn't personally affected, internet connection was a bit spotty for a while. Anyway, I'm here today to talk about friendships that will never, ever end.






"Lost Boys" is a story of love, loss and betrayal, though in like, the opposite order. Roger needs a squash partner, dammit, so he attempts to recruit Steve to join him, only to be rebuffed over and over again. Steve won't abandon Snot, Barry and Toshi during their "friendiversary" and Roger is forced to get creative, using a Chuck E. Cheese costume and a Julia Childs voice modifier(don't overthink it) to break them up. Most of the early portion of this episode was quite predictable, but it's here where it takes a sharp turn. Instead of some sort of feud developing, Steve become completely reliant on Roger, driving Roger completely crazy. Even after tossing Steve aside for losing the squash tournament, Roger just can't get rid of him and turns to Klaus for help. The goldfish has connections in Tampa, so they're off to Florida to learn about male friendship from some true bros. Most of the Floridian-based jokes are very good, but they've all been done before and better, so a lot of the material falls flat. Roger learns nothing, he never does, but does set out to reunite Steve and his friends with a snake in tow.


Ultimately, Roger's plan to have Steve save his friends doesn't work as planned, because Snot, Barry and Toshi have already decided to forgive Steve. It's a sweet resolution to the story, but feels entirely out of left field. That's because Steve's friends are extremely secondary, barely featured on screen with little agency in their own choices. This is a very Roger-centric episode, but with a title like "Lost Boys" it's weird that the characters so central to it are so unimportant. The twists along the tale were interesting enough, but nothing truly stands out as unique. It also doesn't help that most of the jokes in this episode were very dull, especially when Roger wasn't on screen.


"Lost Boys" also achieves the rare distinction of a secondary storyline flop, as Jeff become a house flipper. There's nothing to any of this, as it's obvious immediately that he's lying and that it will eventually blow up in his face, which it does. Somehow, this leads to a big moment for Jeff and Hayley, which is so far out of left field that I think it's out of the ballpark. Man, there's just nothing here to talk about, it's all complete filler.


5/10


Despite my problems with it, the main storyline of "Lost Boys" was easily the best part of it, and really should've been the entire episode. The B-plot nearly put me to sleep, and the jokes were either tonally off-putting or largely unfunny. It's a shame because you can tell that a good amount of effort went into writing this episode, and the Steve/Roger dynamic was near perfect. That's really all that saves this outing from being a complete dud. Now if you'll excuse me, my buddies down in Tampa have just informed me that the next President of the United States of America is............................


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is