Skip to main content

Henry's Pay-Per-View Reviews: WCW The Great American Bash 1989

First off, I do want to apologize for not uploading anything following my last review on February 19th, completely missing my promised "WCW Week". If you follow me on Twitter, I mentioned about three weeks ago that my grandfather was in the hospital in serious condition, and my desire to work on this blog was pretty minimal. Unfortunately, this year just hasn't been kind to my family and I, as my grandfather passed away early last Friday. I considered taking more time off to mourn, but during the past couple days, I've felt like I needed something to help keep pushing forward. So I'm back here today, and beginning WCW Week by traveling back in time to July 23rd, 1989.


I'll admit to some trepidation in covering this show, as it seems to be considered perhaps the greatest in company history from what I've heard. Given I don't generally watch tons of older wrestling, I was nervous I might not be able to properly review a show so far before my time. But any worries I had going in were wiped away very quickly, as I had a blast watching something that, at least to my eyes, felt very fresh. Guys, I think this might be the most fun I've had watching any pay-per-view in a long, long time. Let's get to it.








- Gotta say, it's a riot to see so many names I recognize from watching wrestling today looking and sounding so different from how I remember them. I also have never truly appreciated just how popular the mullet was until I watched this show, it seems like it was a requirement for everyone on the card to have voluminous, flowing locks.


- We start out the night with a two ring battle royal, featuring the likes of Brian Pillman, the Steiners, Ron Simmons and even a young Scott Hall. I will admit to be very confused by the rules of this match for the opening couple minutes, as all the competitors started in the first, then had to be tossed into the second ring before finally being eligible for elimination. The action itself was fine, nothing outstanding but in fairness no one really had much room to work, much like most battle royals. In the end, Dan Spivey and Sid Vicious of the recently formed Skyscrapers stand tall in both rings, leading to their manager, Teddy Long pre-Holla and pre-Playa, to declare that they would refuse to fight and split the winner's purse. It's a creative finish to be sure, and a good way to get them some heat, as the crowd did seem to be interested in seeing the big men duke it out.


- Brian Pillman and Bill Irwin, both of whom competed in the battle royal just moments before, are the first two men to pull double duty on this show, returning to face off in singles action. It's a very basic match structure, with "Flyin" Brian hitting big moves and selling while Irwin gets in some trash talk and draws heat. Pillman uses the extra ring to his advantage, hitting a very cool looking crossbody from the second ring into the first, picking up the win. Nothing bad here, but perhaps a little too bland for my liking.


- Spivey and Vicious are back again, as the Skyscrapers now team up to face the neon clad Dynamic Dudes. Baltimore doesn't care much for the Dudes who only earn an occasional pop, while Sid gets a near standing ovation after tagging in. It's a trip to see John Laurinaitis and Shane Douglas attempting to embody the SoCal stereotype, but their tag team offense is uninspired and the gimmick seems destined to fail. Dan and Sid are victorious yet again, as they are clearly being positioned as top heels in the company, though a punctured lung for Vicious suffered later on led to the goddamn Undertaker taking his place.


- If you've ever wanted to see two great minds of the business fight to strip each other to their underwear, you're in luck, as Jim Cornette faces Paul E. Dangerously in a tuxedo match. Despite the goofy stipulation, the match itself isn't actually that bad given the inexperience of both men in the ring. Dangerously works Cornette's real life knee injury for heat, and it works quite well, as the crowd is very invested. Ultimately, Cornette picks up the win, and the sight of Paul Heyman, visionary of ECW and advocate of Brock Lesnar, running for the hills almost completely naked is both the best and worst moment of the night.


- Up next, in a complete change of pace, the Steiners face the Varsity Club in a Texas Tornado tag match, meaning all four men are legal, with no tags necessary. The stipulation allows this match to stand out well from the earlier contest, as it's just an all-out brawl from the very start. I loved the physicality of this match, as Scott and Rick Steiner are put over very well, looking like absolute beasts. It's all action for just over four minutes, before Scott pins Kevin Sullivan for the three count.


- It's two of the most legendary figures in American and Japanese pro wrestling squaring off in the next contest, as Sting defends his TV title against the Great Muta. Both men work incredibly fast, and Sting is an absolute shining star here, as his babyface fire is second to none. Muta doesn't get a ton of offense in, but does deliver a painful looking moonsault for a near fall. A double pinfall off a back suplex leads to a Dusty finish, as Muta and manager Gary Hart abscond with Sting's belt after the bell. I will say, I get what they were going for with this finish, but it was completely botched. Sting's shoulder clearly isn't down for three or really even down at all, and it just makes both referees look like complete dolts. I'm sure this was eventually addressed in storyline, but it did leave me more puzzled than impressed by what should have been a great contest.


- Time for the true comedy match of the night, as Lex Luger and his ridiculous selling arrive to Baltimore. In fairness, he's not too over the top in this contest, and puts on a pretty great show with Ricky Steamboat as he defends the US title. It's a terrific clash of styles, as the arrogant powerhouse Luger faces the fiery, technically proficient Steamboat. I thought this match was great for both men, as The Dragon's selling made Luger's offense look absolutely devastating, and the crowd was into everything. But once again, the booking let this match down, as Ricky just sort of randomly chooses to get disqualified, attacking Lex with a chair. I'm not really sure what the point of this was, other than to make Steamboat seem like a complete idiot, especially after he agree to switch from no holds barred to a normal match before the bell rang. At the end of the day, the awful booking of these past two matches didn't ruin them for me, but it did leave me feeling somewhat underwhelmed.


- But any fears I had for where this show was going were quickly set aside, as War Games delivered the goods. It's one of my favorite match types to go back and watch, and I thought this one was one of the best. The heels in this contest are the odd alliance of the Fabulous Freebirds and the Samoan Swat Team, who have the numbers advantage during the opening portion of the match, as is tradition. They're facing the Midnight Express, the Road Warriors and Dr. Death Steve Williams, another somewhat random collection of guys. Even though I was a little confused the characters participating, the actual match and JR on commentary did a great job putting everyone over and adding some extra nuance to the fight. War Games is best as a chaotic brawl, and that's exactly what we got. Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane do a great job selling, Hawk, Animal, Williams and the Samoans bring the intensity, leaving the Freebirds to be their great heelish selves. Michael Hayes is especially great with his constant trash talk and complete cowardice, waiting until the very last moment to actual enter the match. Hawk forces Jimmy Garvin to submit to an interesting looking hanging neckbreaker, bringing this entertaining fight to a close. This match isn't what you'd consider technical brilliance in any sense, but War Games is designed more to put over characters and rivalries, sort of similar to a Royal Rumble match.


- Main event time, as Ric Flair defends the NWA World title against middle aged and crazy Terry Funk, also represented by Gary Hart. I didn't know what to expect heading into this match, but holy damn, this was amazing. The story heading in is that Funk is a straight up psychopath, intent on ending Flair's career with the Piledriver. The intensity of the contest slowly ramps up, before Flair decides to Piledriver Funk twice, and Terry's selling is amazing, convulsing and struggling to stand, really putting the move over. Both men get busted open, of course, it's Terry Funk and Ric Flair, but I thought the color never got too excessive and really added to the big fight feel. Funk attempts to Piledrive Flair on the exposed concrete floor but doesn't succeed, though he does later hit Flair with three or four swinging neckbreakers. Nothing either man does in this match is overly complicated or particularly ground breaking, and it doesn't matter at all, as their combined charisma and showmanship leaves every fan on the edge of their seat. Finally, after an absolute war, Flair catches Funk with an inside cradle to retain his title in a great closer to the show.


- But neither man is done just yet, as Muta and Sting get involved, leading to a big pull apart brawl that costs Jim Ross his voice. Baltimore loves all of it, treating Flair and Sting like the conquering heroes they are. Finally, we get a great visual of Flair, covered in blood and Muta's green mist, delivering a warning to Funk and Hart that this fight isn't over yet. What a chaotic, awesome way to end the night, leaving even me, 31 years later, completely hooked and ready for more. Man, this show ruled.


9/10


It's a sign of just how great this night of action was that I'm willing to look past the poor booking and somewhat lackluster undercard and give so high of a score. Sting-Muta and Luger-Steamboat were great for what they were, War Games delivers once again and that main event was just terrific. The storytelling and psychology between Flair and Funk was out of this world, proving why both men are worthy of their legendary status. If the other two WCW shows I watch are anywhere near this good, this is going to be a very fun week.


Up next on Henry's Pay-Per-View Reviews: WCW Bash at the Beach 1996.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is