Skip to main content

American Dad "A Starboy is Born" Review

AD is really not a show that deals in celebrity guests too often, and though somewhat notable voice actors apart for a cameo or two, the show doesn't normally make a big deal out of it. That's why this episode comes completely out of left field, and I didn't really know what to think of it when I saw the episode description listed online. I do realize that I could be writing to a new audience this week, since you know damn well I'm using this episode's guest star for extra clicks, so I'm going to try a slightly different format this week that makes my review a little bit easier to read. For anyone that is new, just know this: I'm usually much grumpier.






So yeah, The Weeknd. I've heard a couple of his songs before, I know he's done one or two WWE pay-per-view themes, which technically makes this a crossover episode. You do need kinda need to understand his image in some part to enjoy "A Starboy is Born", as this episode is completely centered around Mr. Abel Makkonen Tesfaye(I can see why he choose a stage name). It's an interesting decision, but according to what I read, he's been a fan of the show for a while and also co-wrote this episode, and I think it pays off.


There's no real A-plot to this, as everything is just focused on The Weeknd with plenty of side gags thrown in. Roger wants to infect Steve with the Bubonic plague, which is more relevant in 2020 than anyone could've expected, in an effort to make Steve a Make-A-Wish child, and grant his wish to meet The Weeknd. Stan doesn't approve, there are rules against chemical warfare in the Smith Family house, but kidnaps the singer anyway in a "teachable moment". From there, literally everything revolves around The Weeknd, as Roger wants to be him and Hayley wants to f*** him.


The Weeknd himself seems to revel in a completely different persona, seemingly both on and off-screen, essentially just becoming a suburban housewife. Roger takes his place on tour, bringing in Klaus as his manager who secures a drug dealer named Vu, who is also apparently a spiritual expert. Breckin Meyer is also here as a guest star, and I'm gonna be honest, I've never heard of the guy before but I'm mostly just impressed that he's actually a real person, he absolutely seems like someone this show would've created. Roger kills some clowns and gets arrested, but Stan refuses to help bail him out, as he believes Roger still has more to learn. Meyer engineers a breakout, and Roger plans to setup a music festival on an active volcano.


Back in Langley, Hayley continues her quest into The Weeknd's pants, assisted by an only marginally reluctant Jeff. Both storylines are played for complete comedy, but this is the one that goes for more punchlines, and it's pretty fun. After Hayley fails one more time, even with a makeover from Jeff, The Weeknd reveals his greatest secret: he's a virgin. This is what this was all building towards, folks, as "I'm a Virgin" debuts and it is Henry's World certified straight fire. Man, this dude's a pretty good singer, one of those labels out there should give him a chance.


With Klaus and Roger in danger, it's time for Stan to sort everything out the only way he knows how, by attempting to murder his wife. Francine is given the Black Death, and Make-A-Wish swoops in with their giant aircraft carrier. The Weeknd is also here, taken to the island by good ole Breckin, who likely got a solid paycheck for about three lines of dialogue, and the episode's climax is here, both literally and figuratively. The Weeknd uses his virginal powers to save Francine's life and stabilize the island, which is apparently a reference to Moana, and you're really testing my research powers American Dad. As Vu and Klaus float off to sea, the goldfish is completely perplexed by what he's just witnessed, and the drug dealer explains everything in amazing deadpan.


Wow, this was quite a ride. Like I said, I really didn't know what to expect when I read The Weeknd's name in the episode description, but I thought this was fabulous. It's obvious Tesfaye gets this show, as the jokes flow through "A Starboy is Born" like they haven't in a long time. Everything connects, from Hayley bitching at The Weeknd for completely cleaning her pants, to "I'm a Virgin", to Klaus accidentally choosing to eat soup in an airplane and even the constant references to Stepbrothers. I will note that there wasn't a ton in terms of narrative arcs or character progression, but the writing is rock solid and every character gets a moment to shine. Roger and Stan's conflict is the closest this episode comes to serious attempting a story, and I think it's told quite well and finishes in exactly the right place. If you're a fan of The Weeknd or a fan of American Dad, I recommend checking this one out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.


9/10


I've been a bit down on this show recently, but as you can probably tell, I loved the hell out of this one. I think I just need to loosen up a little more when it comes to American Dad, I can be way too serious when it comes to writing these reviews. So how about this, a little pact from me to you, AD writing team: I promise to give you guys a chance and stop being so harsh in my reviews, if you can give me more of this please.


- Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is