Skip to main content

South Park "Holiday Special" Review

Hey, it's the second Randy-centric episode of the season. South Park's resident maniac(I guess?) was in fine form in this one, resulting in a strong, enjoyable episode.


It's amazing what this show can still do when it focus its episodes around its characters rather than the latest headline news. So much of what has been missing from South Park for the past few seasons is plain fun and actual comedy, and it was refreshing to see some of that return in "Holiday Special". This wasn't a perfect episode by any means, and I hate that this show is still more focused on politics and race then almost anything else, but I can't blame them. In a way, this episode showed just how easy it is to lean into standard behavior, from those that look for ways to play the victim card and latch onto any cause at a moment's notice. This episode was really all it needed to be: a fun, fast paced affair with little filler, and all content completely devoted to one, central storyline.


That main story this week was centered around Randy, as mentioned, doing what he does best: causing enjoyable chaos. In this case, he goes after the legacy of Christopher Columbus, including getting Columbus Day cancelled, and tearing down/defecating on statues. But the highlights here are less the story and more on Randy's antics, as he does everything possible to spread his message. This includes calling up residents in Columbus, Ohio, purely to call them racist, making out with a poor, confused Native American man and covering up his own history. In a predictable but still hilarious twist, it turns out that Randy is obsessed with Columbus, to the point that he even dressed up as the man for his wedding. For the most part, this episode just plays the hits, not really developing the story but rather just let it spiral into chaos. I can't disagree with that decision, but some parts of this plot do get a little old; Randy's constant confusion of the word "indigenous" with the word "indignant" wears out its welcome early on. Still, I can't bring myself to hate any part of this, as I was laughing throughout. Randy's closing "what I learned today" speech was an excellent capper as well. 


While Randy loses his mind, the boys get in on the fun, as all four are united for what feels like the first time in years. After learning that Columbus Day has been cancelled by Randy, meaning they lose a day off school, Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman try everything to get their time off back. Again, story progression isn't the point here at all, and its clearly better for it. Any story that calls for Kenny to make dramatic and threatening phone calls to a member of school staff is a winner for me.


8/10


While I would like see South Park focus more on its characters, I do understand that the show is the way it is for a reason. This show has long existed to call certain parts of society out, and it has done pretty well at that. These past two episodes have been everything I want South Park to be, at least in terms of comedy, so I can't be too unhappy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is