Skip to main content

No Mercy 2017 Recap

On September 17th, 2017, exactly one week ago, the wrestling world was lit afire with the news that legendary manager and color commentator, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan had passed away. There are many ways to describe Heenan's influence on the business: revolutionary, game-changing and history defining would be just three. For someone like myself, not around during his glory days, creating a tribute for the man is quite difficult. I wish I could tell you that he changed my life or defined my childhood but I cannot. What I can tell you is what I've seen and what I've heard throughout my own time as a wrestling fan. Bobby Heenan was quite simply the best. His charisma was unbeatable, his wit unparalleled, his abilities unmatched. He could made fans care, he made performers care and he was never afraid to make himself look bad at the expense of others. Many have tried to fill his shoes; they all have failed. Because on September 17th, 2017, we bid goodbye to the greatest of all time.

Rest In Peace, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.




No Mercy 2016 Score: 7/10




- This was a pretty good night of wrestling, I'm going to be honest. I'll probably be cynical at times(which is deserved), but I do want you to know that I enjoyed this show.


- Jason Jordan may have the dullest character and biggest lack of mic skills know to man, but I'll be damned if the dude isn't talented. Jordan was very impressive on this night, although Miz going over was most definitely the right decision, as it gives Jordan a much needed chance to define his character.


- Finn Balor and Bray Wyatt had what was most certainly a match. This was better than their Summerslam encounter, although the whole thing just felt quite pointless. If Finn can win matches completely clean without the Demon, then what exactly is his incentive to bring it out?


- Dammit Cesaro. I know you were trying to top your Summerslam beach ball antics, but knocking out your own teeth out isn't the right way to go. Get an ice pack on that one, buddy.


- Someone call the police department, cause my boys just stole the show- again. If anyone had doubts that these two teams can go, they had to absolutely silenced by the ending. I tell you who wasn't silent- Staples Center, who were going bananas by the finish. Great work by all four guys to win the crowd over, even if it took sending everyone to the hospital to do it. Superb stuff.


- Take notes Braun Strowman, cause Nia Jax gave you a schooling on some good ole monstering tonight. I've felt for a long time that Nia had a lot of potential, and boy did she showcase it here. This match was so much about elevating Jax that it felt very underwhelming when Alexa retained. Still, they made a thrown together championship match work, and everyone deserves plaudits for that.


- It's important to note that at this point in the show, almost two hours in, this was probably my favorite show of the year. Buckle in folks, because it's a steep drop from here.


- The first ten minutes of Cena vs Reigns were very subdued, which was quite surprising to me. Roman did take the opportunity to showcase his natural heel charisma, which he so rarely gets to use. Then the match just degraded into finisher kick-outs, and kinda lost me. Don't get me wrong, some of those kick-outs were unbelievable- Roman just getting the shoulder up after the third and fourth AAs was completely ridiculous in the best and worst way possible. That Spear through the announce was also a pretty insane spot. But Cena losing to Roman's completely obvious finishing sequence just felt so strange, a complete anti-climax to one of the biggest matches possible.


- It's not that I think Roman should've lost or anything; him winning was absolutely the right call. He needed this win over Cena, especially after their feud has been so one-sided. But doing this way, by the most obvious means possible, doesn't make anyone look good. Just my thoughts.


- Enzo Amore won the Cruiserweight Title with a low blow. I've been instructed to give you this information, but I'm not really sure why.


- I wanted so desperately to care about Braun vs Brock, and like Roman-Cena, the result wasn't what bothered me. Look, Braun may be ready to carry the belt or he may not, that's not really my call. But the way they did it was completely bewildering. Braun Strowman has been built as a killer for over a year, and even when he lost to Roman at Fastlane, it took a ridiculous effort to do it, and a mistake from Strowman. But here, Braun just stands idly by while Heyman makes his introduction, and then decides to try and out-wrestle Lesnar. What? This is the guy that destroys cages, tips over ambulances and throws people in dumpsters. He is not a collegiate level mat grappler, nor should he be booked like one. And then when he loses(to one F-5, I may add), he just rolls out of the ring and sits in the corner, not really even looking upset at what just happened. No anger, no destruction, no nothing. If you're going to beat Braun Strowman, you should have to pay for it, and Brock didn't. Terrible.


6/10


In the end, the first portion of this show was just so good that it carried the event to a decent grade. With a few less kick-outs and so better storytelling between Roman and Cena, and just a better overall main event, this show easily gets a 9 or a 9.5. For now, it has to settle for a 6, and let's hope Hell in a Cell and TLC are up to topping it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is