Skip to main content

American Dad "An Irish Goodbye" Review

American Dad dunks all over Frontier Airlines this week, and well I could just finish the review here and call it a day, I suppose I should put up the appearance of effort.





"An Irish Goodbye" is not too dissimilar to last week's "Wild Women Do", as Francine once again needs a break from Stan's wackiness. I will say, it's probably fine to do two episodes in a row with similar plots, but it better be leading to something. Anyway, while Jeff and Stan are off playing Davy Crockett, Francine sneaks off and an intrigued Hayley follows her mother. Hayley finds out that Francine let's off a little steam at an airport bar named O'Rivals, the name of which is simultaneously the best and worst part of this episode. Francine performs a really bad musical number, and convinces Hayley to join her. When large quantities of Bud Light aren't enough to forget her problems, Francine starts a bar fight, and it's incredibly fun to watch the pair kick all kinds of a**. Of course, Francine's decision to let Hayley in on all this backfires, as Hayley goes from escaping her marriage to just leaving entirely, searching out the original O'Rivals in Ireland.


If you thought American Dad would deliver a very reductive portrayal of Ireland, you would be correct, as apparently, all Irish people are swamped with nothing but misery, depression and cancer. Hayley takes advantage of stereotypes and starts a bar fight, which is incredibly fun. Honestly, if this episode had been nothing but wild brawls in pubs, it would've been at least ten times better. But a resolution needs to be found, so Francine tracks her wild daughter down, accompanied by Jeff. Here, American Dad goes the laziest possible route, turning Jeff into ostensibly a subservient slave. Not only is this a very odd choice, it doesn't fit his character at all. Jeff's never been the type of guy to take directions from anyone- it's the main reason why he and Hayley are together in the first place. Literally just last week, Jeff refused to listen to Francine and caused all kinds of chaos. A better resolution could've saved what was honestly a very dull premise to begin with, but this is all better left completely forgotten.


But "An Irish Goodbye" transcends mediocrity in the B-plot, mostly thanks to Rogu. Roger's former tumor is back, and is comedy gold all episode. From pranking Francine by pretending to be Hayley to insisting he would eat any sister Roger produced, Rogu is unquestionably the best. And that's all before considering his stint going Stan and playing frontiersman, which produces that incredible final line- "Rogu is going to Hell, but he not going alone". Words to live by.


7/10


This episode was hard to rate, as the writing for Hayley and Jeff was abysmal and brought down what was otherwise one of the most fun episodes of the season. I suppose that's were American Dad is at right now. Most storylines are either tired or illogical, constantly re-treading tired ground. But the animation and one-liners remain top notch, and make most episodes, if not interesting, at least entertaining. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is