Skip to main content

American Dad "The Long March" Review

You know, I can relate to the tough life on an Instagram influencer. I spend over 2-3 hours a week, that's right, every single week, slaving over my keyboard. I can only eat when I'm not working, or am working, or just whenever. I only sleep about 8 hours a night, and sometimes, someone forces me to wake up before 10 AM. 10, can you believe it? The real victims of life are bloggers, man. If you would like to save me and many others from this miserable existence, please donate today.




"The Long March" is a Hayley and Jeff episode, and a lot of those have flopped big time in recent seasons. But don't worry, dear reader, because I'm here today to tell you that this one was also not very good. I did enjoy the first act of the episode, as Hayley is promoted at work, which Stan is over the moon about. Stan revels in the trappings of corporate life to his daughter, and then disappears, never to be seen again. Some say they can still hear him wandering around the Amazon rainforests to this very day. In one of the best American Dad sequences ever, Hayley is driven insane by her monotonous job. The animation as Hayley slowly realizes everything she's gotten herself into is top notch, and just the kind of weird freakiness I expect out of this show. Hayley and Jeff hit the road in his van, eager to embrace a more free existence. But needing money, they turn to Roger, who turns them into Instagram influencers, constantly hawking the most baffling of products. Roger's overwhelmed agent persona in this episode was very fun, but unfortunately disappears quickly, just like Stan. Jeff objects to this new lifestyle, and the episode goes down the most predictable route, as Hayley sends him packing to be replaced by some ripped dude who is definitely not a hologram.


The third act is a rush to the finish, as Hayley herself suddenly get replaced, and then becomes a slave in a berry farm. Then she's thrown into a death trench after being bitten by a monkey. I'm not gonna lie, the episode had completely lost me by this point. Everything following Hayley quitting her job felt like just the strangest combination of ideas and characters, and nothing really worked. The commentary on the vapidness of Instagram users was fun enough, but they make a very easy target and certainly doesn't come across as fresh or cutting edge. Hayley just sort of decides that Jeff was right all along, even when he completely botches a rescue attempt. Then they get turned into mini-Hulks by drinking acai juice, which is a fun animation gag but feels very much like an deus ex machina, which is not something I've ever associated with American Dad. This whole storyline is a confusing, rushed mess, and even though I like both characters, I think I'm about done with Hayley and Jeff episodes.


Social media remains the focus of "The Long March" in the B-plot, as Steve and Francine deal with a very intimidating Uber driver. Ernie shows up everywhere, on every site, including Tinder. The writers even throw in a very meta Tuttle joke, and it's silly and random, but worked well for me. The ending where Ernie literally murders Klaus as the goldfish gives him a worse and worse review had me chuckling, the perfect fun diversion to make up for the rest of the episode's slog.


5/10


The jokes and animation gags in this episode, combined with the awesomely bizarre B-plot raise "The Long March" from being one of the worst ever to just mediocre. What sounded like an interesting concept on paper didn't work out that way in reality, largely due to the odd disappearance of characters and wonky pacing. Now if you'll excuse me, I have 15 more blog posts to write, and you will read them and you will like them, or I'm setting Ernie loose on you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is