Skip to main content

The Dog League: New Changes for the 2019 Season

Next week, on Tuesday, June 11th, the 2019 Dog League Draft will take place. You will see the results of said draft posted here on my blog in the days following, but I have business to get to before then. Last year in the Dog League, we introduced two new expansions teams, the Rare Woofs and Bark Force. This year, I have though up some new rule and scoring changes, putting careful thought into every decision I made. Obviously, this is a trial run, one that may not work out. Even if these new changes don't catch on, every team will be subject to both the positive and negative effects, so there will be no special advantage. With that said, let's get to it.





Rule Changes


- One new bench spot for each team's roster; can be used on DEF or Kicker ONLY- 

The title of this section is patently untrue, as I only have one rule change for this year. As you'll see later in this post, a ton of scoring changes are done to increase the importance of defenses and kickers, and this change affects that as well. Every team will now get 8 bench spots instead of 7, with this extra spot only being used for a defense or kicker. This is done to encourage teams not to drop the best of each position, as the top quality players will be crucial this year, and should not be dropped. Quick note: I don't think the autopicked draft will stick to this rule, so if it doesn't, every team will be required to adhere to it before Week 2.



Scoring Changes


- Any fumble is now a -1 to an offensive player and a +1 to the DEF- 

Watching a lot of games last year, it annoyed me that fumbles only matter in fantasy if a defensive player actually recovers the ball. The defense gets no credit for forcing a fumble, which is dumb since big hits that force the ball loose are impactful plays, and should be credited as such. Now, offensive players will lose a point every time they fumble, while the defense gains one. Of course, the downside is that there are plenty of fumbles throughout a game that aren't big plays by the defense, so they will now get a few extra points a game they may not deserve. But defenses don't score that well in fantasy anyway, so I think it's fine.


- Any blocked kick is now a +2 to the DEF- 

This is an easy one; why do defenses not get credit for blocking a kick? I don't why this decision was made by I'm going to give them two extra points for doing so. It's not a play that happens that often, so I don't expect this change will have much effect, but it's nice to have it as a possibility.


- Any missed kick is now a -1 to the Kicker- 

Kickers are struggling now more than ever in the NFL, and yet, under standard scoring settings, they have no way to lose points. Now they do, as any missed kick, PAT or Field Goal, for anywhere on the field, is an automatic lost point. Ultimately, it's not a huge penalty, but it should help to demonstrate the difference between a good kicker and a great one.


- DEFs now get a +5 for holding an offense under 300 total yards and a -5 for allowing an offense to gain more than 500 yards- 

Yards are very important to offensive players, but not defenses, under standard scoring. That now changes, as any game under 300 yards is a +5 to the defense, and any over 500 is a -5. I don't know how much effect this change will have, as only three defenses(Ravens, Bills and Bears) averaged under 300 total yards last season, and now team averaged allowing over 500. This change was inspired by the Chiefs-Rams game last year, as I was upset that both defenses were considered elite despite both getting roasted. Kansas City would now lose an extra 5 points for that game, which seems fair.


- Any reception is now a +1 to the offensive player- 

If you follow NFL.com's fantasy football, you'll notice they announced the switch from standard to full-PPR scoring for this season. The Dog League will do the same, to stay somewhat connected to the other leagues on the site. I know some players prefer half-PPR to full point, but it's what NFL.com is using, so our league will use it as well, to keep things simple.





Every change has already gone into effect, and every owner in the league has been notified to prepare their strategy accordingly. If there is any backlash over these changes, I will be willing to re-evaluate, but all changes must be done by the start of the season. As I said before, this is a trial run, as I have very little idea how these changes will actually work once games begin. Maybe it will ruin this season; hopefully it will make it exponentially better.


- Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is