Skip to main content

NXT Takeover: WarGames Recap

NXT has really turned a corner in recent months, a far cry from where they were just a year ago. Most Takeover shows are at least good for at least a little entertainment value, but I feel they keep missing that one crucial element to put it over the top. Although there were issues with this show, I think this is one of the strongest top to bottom cards the brand has put forth in a long time.






- Remember when Kassius Ohno returning to NXT was supposed to be a big deal? I sure don't. On a brand where almost everyone has been booked well over the past few months, he stands out as one of NXT's only failures. I can't say I know a lot about Lars Sullivan, but I liked what I saw and would want to watch more, so that's a good thing. 


- If you had told me that a man named the Velveteen Dream would become one of the best acts on the NXT or any roster, I would've laughed you out of the building. On this night, he displayed every aspect of the star he is sure to become. Patrick Clark is a man that just gets pro wrestling in a way that few do. His psychology, selling and overall charisma are top notch, and at only 22 years old, he's already one of the most well rounded performers in the business. This feud with Aleister Black was built totally around Mr. Dream, with his performance being crucial to the success of the angle. He played it perfectly, and Black's acknowledgment of his name got as over as just about anything on the night. Just can't say enough good things about this man. 


- Not that Black performed poorly, or anything. He's cooled off since his initial debut, but once he moves to a main event program, he'll be one of the top stars on the show. That DDT sell was ridiculous. 


- On a night with so much incredible wrestling, it's really unfortunate that the women of NXT were pushed to the background. Their fatal four way match was fine, and the big spots were cool, but it never once hit that next level. Ember as champ is well deserved, but she'll need some major character work before she can carry the division. 


- Speaking of character work, it's a real shame what's gone down with Drew McIntyre. His push to the NXT Championship was very mistimed, and his win only accentuated how bland of a face he is. There was a lot of talk surrounding the finish of this match, as McIntyre appeared to get his knee caught in the ropes. If it's real, then it's obviously very unfortunate for Drew, although it could be a blessing in disguise, as a big return from injury could be exactly the fire he needs. UPDATE: It appears that McIntyre has suffered an arm injury, not a knee injury like I originally suspected. Best of luck to him. 


- Let's talk about Andrade Almas. This is a guy that couldn't even make the card in Chicago, now crowned NXT Champion just six months later. What a ride, and well deserved, as Almas is one of the better workers on the brand. His work with Zelina Vega has been top notch, and really showcased his ranged as a performer. His run at the top could be quite interesting, although I do fear he could be just a transitional champion. 


- Ironically, I think I have the least to say about the main event, the match the entire card was named after. The structure itself looked cool, although not very much like the original design. The match itself was a crazy, nonsensical car crash, but it needed to be a crazy, nonsensical car crash, so it worked. Establishing Cole as a top guy is absolutely the right call, and let's just hope none of the competitors suffered any long term injuries from it(that gash on the back of Alexander Wolfe's head looked NASTY). 


8/10


Black/Dream and the main event carry an otherwise mostly forgettable show, which is a shame. With two new champions crowned, it's clear NXT is heading into a new horizon. There's plenty of room from improvement, but I have confidence in Based Haitch, and am looking forward to Philly.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I have a dog today" speech

I have a dog today. A black dog, a white dog A gray dog, a green dog A blue dog, a red dog And a yellow dog. I have a dog today. He is a black dog With long whiskers And a big snout. I have a dog today. He is my dog. And his name is Trinket. I have a dog today. With an extra-long tail And a happy-go-lucky attitude. I have a dog today. He will stir the deep Black potions of my heart. He will smell me And express his joy. I have a dog today. A dog tomorrow And a dog the day after that. I have a dog today. He is a good dog A bad dog A cute dog A fat dog A thin dog And a happy dog. I have a dog today. He is a nice dog A happy dog And he is my dog. I have a dog today. Let all dogs be free Happy Barking Singing And let happiness rule the land!

Henry's Universe Mode #209: No Mercy(Part 1)

What does it take to be the best? It's a question that's been asked many times, by many people. To many, the answer is complicated; tonight, it is quite simple. Lay it all on the line, not for yourself but in pursuit of something. Settle your scores by defeating your opponent, as decisively as possible. Be ready for any opportunity that presents itself, because it might be your only chance. And above all else, show.....no......mercy. And now, Raw and SmackDown present.....................No Mercy! Universe Mode No Mercy September 24th, 2017 Location: Raleigh, NC Official No Mercy Theme Song- "No Mercy"- PVRIS The Shield(c) vs The Hardy Boyz- Raw Tag Team Championship Match For a large majority of this match, we saw a different side to Matt and Jeff Hardy. They were more calculating, operating at a slower pace is hopes of grinding out Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns. The strategy proved successful enough against Ambrose, but one mistake c

The Route of Life

dedicated to my hermits, who changed my life Ch 1 My Hermit crabs Hermit crabs are sometimes hard to take care of. Especially when you never had a hermit. Last Sunday afternoon I got 2 Hermit crabs. Their names are Crabbe and Goyle. I have talked with many sales people. The first Petco we went to (where we got the hermits and their things) seemed to have no idea on the subject. So we ended up going to Dolphin Pet Village. They were more experience at the subject. Now we have some of the things we will need. Last week, I went to a second Petco. There we got a cuttlebone, which is the bone of a fish. Now they look happy. Have a good day Hermit Crabs! Ch 2 Curious Crab The week before last week, my mom looked into my crabitat and found that one of my crabs had climbed one of my fake trees. It was on the top branch. Later, when I was changing to get ready for bed, the crab fell out of his branch. I hope he is okay. He’s definitely starting to look okay. How funny do you think that story is